- phone: (419) 628-3497
- fax: (419) 628-1037
The community retains a rich heritage from the early settlers, a band of German immigrants. First settled in 1832, by Francis Joseph Stallo and six other men acting as agents for a group of ninety-seven young German settlers, the Village of Minster today has a population slightly exceeding 2,805 persons.
These early settlers bought the 640 acres for $800.00 in silver. Trees were gradually felled, streets laid out, and the site was divided into 144 lots, which made up the village of Stallostown. In July of 1833 Stallo died suddenly, and three years later the town was renamed Minster.
Today, the Minster Historical Society maintains a museum of local artifacts at 112 West Fourth Street. The members are active in promoting and preserving Minster's heritage.
The crest of the Village of Minster, is indicative of the faith and heritage, the ethic of hard work, the practical use of common sense, and the good fellowship inherent to the community.
The cross represents the strong Christian faith of the community. The faith was rooted in the late eighth century when christianity was brought by the victorious Charlemange and the venerable Benedictine missionaries to the defeated Saxon tribes in the area that was to comprise the Diocese of Munster and Osnabruck.
The acorn is a symbol of the Saxon tribes to whom the oak leaf served as a symbol of strength. The early pagan ancestors of the settlers of Stallostown worshipped the oak tree as a deity. The "tree of life" was an important feature of many customs that developed later in Munsterland.
The Canal Boat
The Miami and Erie Canal reached Minster in 1843. The important artery of transportation connected Cincinnati on the Ohio River with Toledo of Lake Erie, and provided a link between the markets of New Orleans and those of New York. The canal greatly aided the population and economic growth of the community in the crucial years of development.
The Horse Heads
Two crossed wooden equine heads are another ancient symbol of the Saxon nature religion. These heads were placed at the peak of the front gable of the old homeland farmhouses to ward off evil and thus served as an omen of good fortune.